Top 5: Best Vacuum Sealers for Sous Vide 2020
For many people, a Vacuum Sealers for Sous Vide is a valuable tool for saving money on groceries, allowing you to buy items at a lower cost in bulk and in season, and then preserve them for up to five times longer than conventional food storage methods.
It’s also convenient for those who are looking to eat healthier. Simply make large batches of your favorite healthy foods and vacuum seal for long-term fridge or freezer storage. It allows you to weigh and portion foods — perfect if you’re on a weight loss program. Having the convenience to simply grab and eat healthy prepared food at home can help cut down on the urge to order takeout after you get home from a long day.
Another benefit of vacuum sealing is that produce picked and preserved at its peak freshness tastes so much better than when it’s out of season, plus it maintains its nutrient content. And, if you’re trying out the new trend of sous vide cooking (the process of sealing food in an airtight container and then cooking it in temperature-controlled water), the food should be vacuum-sealed for the best results. Finally, vacuum-sealing foods also help protect them from bacteria, humidity, and dust, as well as cut down on food waste.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
1. FoodSaver V2244 Vacuum Sealer Machine
The FoodSaver 2244 Vacuum Sealing System helps keep food fresh longer. The system removes air, one of the main causes of mold and food spoilage, from bags and creates an airtight seal to lock in freshness.
This FoodSaver Vacuum Sealing System comes complete with a starter kit that includes an 11″ x 10′ heat seal roll, (3) quart heat seal bags, (2) gallon heat seal bags, and an accessory hose, so you’ll soon be on your way to keeping your food fresh, eliminating waste, and saving money.
- Keep food fresh in the freezer up to 5x longer and in the fridge or pantry up to 2x longer, compared to other non-vacuum storage methods
- Instant Seal feature lets you immediately stop the vacuum sealing process when vacuum packaging delicate foods
- Accessory hose vacuum seals Fresh Containers and marinates food in minutes
- To get consistent results during sous vide cooking, use FoodSaver bags and rolls, which are specifically designed to withstand boiling temperatures, are safe to use, and BPA-free
- Starter kit includes 11″ x 10″ heat seal roll, (3) 1-quart heat seal bags, (2) 1-gallon heat seal bags, accessory hose
- The V2244 model is part of the 2200 Series
2. NutriChef Vacuum Sealer for Sous Vide
NutriChef’s Vacuum Sealers for Sous Vide preserves freshness on your food as it reduces air and limiting bacterial growth on your food. That would cause your vegetables, meats, and liquids to spoil so easily. Sealing your food blocks growth of mold, fungus, and bacteria that are responsible for ruining the taste, appearance, and texture. It also creates extra space in your fridge with the airtight bag packaging.
Now you can safeguard your food from spoilage and save a substantial amount of money when buying food in bulk by properly storing it. NutriChef’s Vacuum Sealer can also be used for marinating meat or other different food items for ready-made meals. It’s also lightweight and compact which can be placed on any kitchen countertop with stain-resistant housing that will not absorb any accidental spills.
- THE IDEAL MONEY AND TIME SAVING SOLUTION: Cooking and meal preparation will become easier, more economical and faster, as you will be able to equip and organize your freezer, with fresh food ready to be defrosted and served or fresh ingredients instead of freezer-burned food filled with ice crystals which will probably end up in the trash can.
- EASY TO OPERATE: Fully automatic simple electric plug-in design with the control center placed on the top panel and soft touch digital buttons along with led indicator lights. A smart device at your family’s service!
- TWO SEALING MODES: Useful and practical, the NutriChef vacuum sealing system is cleverly designed owning two selectable modes to provide your food with the best possible preservation based on the type of food you want to seal. You can choose the dry indication for solid food items and the moist indication for poached, simmered or steamed food.
- LAB TESTED QUALITY: Vacuum sealers preserve food up to 5 times longer than zipper baggies or containers, basically depending on the type of food. The NutriChef Vacuum Sealer however, was subjected to specific laboratory testing to effectively increase food shelf life.
- A FULL STARTER KIT: Apart from the vacuum sealer and the air suction hose, the NutriChef vacuum sealer package also includes a wine stopper cork, 5 medium vacuum bags (7.8” x 11.8”) and one extra-long vacuum bag roll (7.8” x 79.0”), both kinds being reusable and waterproof. A complete bundle for your new cooking era.
3. FoodSaver FM2000 Vacuum Sealer System
The FoodSaver FM2000 Vacuum Sealing System helps keep food fresh longer. The system removes air, one of the main causes of mold and food spoilage, from bags and creates an airtight seal to lock in freshness.
- Vacuum sealing removes air, one of the main causes of freezer burn, mold, and spoilage
- New technology uses 40% less bag material than previous FoodSaver units
- Accessory hose vacuum seals Fresh Containers and marinates food in minutes
4. GERYON Vacuum Sealer, Automatic Food Sealer Machine
Geryon Vacuum Sealer easily fits in drawers or cabinets in the kitchen. Conveniently place it where it’s easily accessible to vacuum seal your favorite meats, vegetables, and fruit.
Geryon Automatic vacuum sealing operation, Hands-free and seal indicator lights, offers you a quick, easy and inexpensive way of preserving your food.
Removes all air from package to prevent bacteria and protect food from freezer burns
Different type of food
Simply press the seal button and seal the bag right above the first seal you created.
Meal Prep Made Easy
Marinade ingredients together to create savory ready-to-cook meals, or portion out cooked foods to help better balance your healthy eating habits.
Keep Food Fresh
Geryon Vacuum Sealers for Sous Vide sucks the air out and has heat sealer to seal the durable airtight bag that preserves the aroma, freshness, taste, and shelf-life of cookies, fish, fruits, meat, vegetables or other food items for later consumption.
Sous Vide Companion
Cooking food sous vide ensures your food is evenly cooked without all of the mess and guesswork that goes into grilling or pan-frying. It kept its original appearance, did not lose excess amounts of fat, and had better texture.
- Vacuum Food Sealer eliminates freezer burn, reduces spoilage and food waste
- Geryon food vacuum sealer fits up to 12” width Geryon or other brand vacuum sealer bags and rolls with texture on sides. Compact size and lightweight design for easy store
- Automatic vacuum sealing operation, Hands-free and seal indicator lights. Use Vac Seal and Seal function to preserve your food. Stop function can further control the vacuum pressure
- Vacuum sealers preserve food up to 5 times longer than zipper baggies, basically depending on the type of food; and also wrap valuables and household items away from dust, damp & humidity
- STARTER KIT INCLUDES: 5 x heat-seal bags (7.8″x11.8″), 1 x roll (7.8″x78″); manufacturer’s Lifetime Warranty & Support
5. Weston Pro-2300 Commercial Grade Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer
Keep foods fresher longer and prevent freezer burn with the powerful Weston Pro-2300 Vacuum Sealer. With its heavy-duty construction and top of the line performance, it is the perfect tool for preserving your prized catch or preparing your garden vegetables for freezing.
With its powerful, double piston pump seal bar, the Weston Pro-2300 Vacuum Sealer finishes the job fast. It has 935 watts of power and an extra-long seal bar so foods and other items are sealed with a solid, dependable closure every time.
The Weston Pro-2300 Vacuum Sealer is powerful but still easy to use. For most items, just press start. However, if you’re sealing soft or more delicate foods, there is a manual control option allowing you to set the pressure. In addition, the stainless steel sealer has a transparent acrylic lid that helps with perfect bag alignment while sealing and LED lights to allow you to monitor the stages of the sealing process. Whether you’re processing wild game or preserving dehydrated fruits, get professional results with the Weston Pro-2300 Vacuum Sealer.
- Preserve fresh meats and produce, bulk food purchases and leftovers longer than traditional methods.
- Use to marinate your food in minutes or to sous vide cook a range of products, See-thru acrylic vacuum lid for perfect bag alignment while sealing
- Commercial-grade vacuum sealer with 2 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty. Automatic Mode has a simple one-touch vacuum-to-seal operation
- Countertop vacuum sealers for sous vide keeps food fresh 5 to 6 times longer
- Stainless steel construction. Fan cooled motor prevents overheating, ensuring consistent sealing
- Double piston vacuum-pump delivers 28” HG vacuum strength with 935 watts of power for rapid seal time
- Extra-large Teflon bar can seal bags up to 15 inches wide
What does a FoodSaver vacuum sealer do?
If you’re looking to preserve food for a lengthy period, a FoodSaver vacuum sealer can help. FoodSaver vacuum sealers help prevent freezer burn and can preserve food for up to five times longer than unsealed food.
How does this work? A FoodSaver vacuum sealer removes excess air from the food bag and seals it with heat so air cannot re-enter. The brand’s specially designed vacuum seal bags can be frozen, heated in the microwave, or boiled. Bags come pre-cut or as a roll.
You can use a FoodSaver vacuum sealer for any or all of the following purposes.
- Preserving wild game
- Preserving domestic meat
- Sealing leftovers
- Preserving fresh fruits and vegetables
Which type of Vacuum Sealers for Sous Vide is Best for You?
Before you shop, it helps to decide which type of FoodSaver vacuum sealer would best serve your purposes. There are countertop models, handheld models, and models designed specifically for the preservation of wild game.
Countertop vacuum sealers
Countertop FoodSaver vacuum sealers come in three different sizes: compact, mid-size, and full-size. All compact models are manually operated; mid-size and full-size models are automatic, though the sealing function can be run manually if needed.
- Compact: These manually operated vacuum sealers consume less storage space, and many include a hose port that allows you to seal canisters for marinades. Manual models must be timed and sealed by the user; some products have an indicator light that signals the completion of the vacuuming process.
- Mid-size: These automatic models take some of the guesswork out of the equation. A sensor detects when the air is removed and automatically seals the bag. Mid-size FoodSavers often include roll storage within the machine and a roll cutter on the lid. Some have an extra-wide sealing strip to accommodate large portions or cuts of meat.
- Full-Size: These automatic sealers have special features such as pulse control and a variety of vacuum speeds to help prevent delicate foods from getting crushed. Bag storage, built-in bag cutters, and adjustable seal bars make these a top-of-the-line kitchen appliance. With so many features, full-size FoodSavers often come in an upright design that consumes less counter space.
Handheld vacuum sealers
Powered by a rechargeable battery, handheld vacuum sealers cost less than their countertop cousins, yet they offer great versatility without taking up much space. Handheld FoodSaver vacuum sealers can be used with Foodsaver bags, food storage containers, and canisters as part of the brand’s patented Food Preservation System.
FoodSaver bags have a vacuum-sealing hole where the handheld sealer attaches, removes air, and seals. FoodSaver containers can hold everything from leftovers to garden vegetables. The sealer attaches to a hole in the top of the container to remove air. These models save space, time, and money; they’re an excellent deal if you’re on a budget.
Wild game vacuum sealers
The largest of the FoodSaver vacuum sealers are specially designed to make preserving wild game easy and efficient. They have an extra-wide sealing strip and drip tray to accommodate large cuts of meat. Their powerful commercial-grade motors can perform 40 to 100 consecutive seals, which is needed when preparing meat from an entire animal. Some have titanium casings for extra durability, and others have power cords that plug into a cigarette lighter so meat can be sealed from anywhere.
Which FoodSaver features matter most?
When selecting a FoodSaver vacuum sealer, you may wonder which features to prioritize. Based on our research, here’s a look at the considerations that we find most important.
Use and purpose
Before buying a vacuum sealer, take a close look at your needs. Are you a hunter? Hunters need a vacuum sealer that can perform a high number of consecutive seals. If you plan to seal a lot of meat, a countertop or wild game vacuum sealer would work best. Are you looking for a way to efficiently store dinner leftovers? If you plan to seal smaller portions, a basic countertop or handheld sealer would probably be enough.
Manual vs. automatic
Which would suit you best, a manual vacuum sealer or an automatic vacuum sealer? Manual models require you to time, watch, and manually press the seal button once all the air has been removed. It takes more focus and leaves more room for error, but these models cost far less than automatic sealers. Automatic models have sensors that detect when all the air has been removed from the bag or container; the machine completes the seal for you. Automatic sealers are easier to use, but they’re usually larger and more expensive.
If you live in a small house or apartment, you probably won’t have space for a countertop FoodSaver. Individual meat portions, food storage containers, and storage bags can instead be sealed using a handheld FoodSaver, saving you space and money.
A compact countertop vacuum sealer also saves some space and performs well, but it won’t have all the bells and whistles of a full-size FoodSaver vacuum sealer. If you have the need and a fairly large amount of kitchen space, you may wish to consider a compact countertop FoodSaver.
If you’re really serious about preserving food in bulk and you have plenty of space and an ample budget, a full-size or wild game FoodSaver makes the most sense. This workhorse machine will make quick work of preserving your food.
Do you plan to seal delicate foods – bread, fruit, and so on – that could possibly sustain damage as a result of the sealing process? Not to worry. Some FoodSavers have a pulse setting that gives you manual control over the vacuum process. This is convenient because you can stop the process before you see your delicate foods get crushed. Other FoodSavers have a “gentle” seal setting that slows the vacuuming process and creates a seal before fragile foods like bread or fresh fruit sustain damage.
Built-in roll storage and bag cutter
Keeping all your sealing supplies together makes the process easier and faster. A FoodSaver with a built-in bag cutter and roll storage reduces bag waste, saving you money. It’s also easier because bags are automatically loaded into the seal position.
A vacuum sealer with a wet/dry button allows you to seal moist foods such as fruit, soup, and sauce. A sensor tells you when the air has been removed and starts the seal before too much liquid is lost to the drip tray. The heat bar gets hotter while in wet mode to evaporate the extra moisture and achieve a good seal.
Some FoodSavers with a wet/dry mode also have automatic liquid detection. These models automatically switch to wet mode when liquid is detected.
Notably, a vacuum sealer without a wet/dry mode cannot be used to seal food with any kind of moisture in it.
Upright vs. horizontal design
Upright vacuum sealers take up less counter space while maximizing features. These models are large but are meant to sit on your counter for quick use at any time.
Horizontal vacuum sealers work just as well as uprights, but they take up more counter space. Some horizontal vacuum sealers have similar features to uprights, while others are basic manual machines.
FoodSaver offers both upright and horizontal models. How often you’ll use the sealer along with your available storage space will help you determine which type is best for you.
Removable drip tray
During the sealing process, any removed liquids fall into the drip tray. A removable drip tray can be emptied and placed in the dishwasher for fast cleaning. Drip trays that aren’t removable must be wiped clean and dry while still in the sealer. Some FoodSaver vacuum sealers have removable drip trays while others don’t.
Other valuable FoodSaver accessories
FoodSaver accessories can often cost as much as the machine itself. Sealers that come with extra accessories save you money in the long run. Accessories to watch for include the following.
- Jar Sealer: Jar sealers don’t come standard with all FoodSaver models. They preserve a greater variety of foods and come in regular and wide-mouth versions.
- Bottle Stopper: You can seal and keep the wine fresh for days using this accessory.
- Food Storage Containers: Say goodbye to your old plasticware with these containers. They come in various sizes and hold everything from leftovers to casseroles and vegetables. The more food storage containers you can get with the vacuum sealer upon initial purchase, the better.
- Bags and Bag Rolls: After buying a vacuum sealer, bags and bag rolls will be your next biggest expense. FoodSaver bags can be washed and reused as long as the bag did not contain meat, eggs, or other foods that may contain bacteria after use. Bags that contained greasy or oily food should also be thrown away because completely removing the grease is difficult. Look for a vacuum sealer that comes with as many bags and bag rolls as possible.
How much do FoodSaver vacuum sealers cost?
- Around $20: Handheld FoodSavers cost as little as $20. Bear in mind that you’ll need to buy the accessories necessary to use it, such as food storage containers and bags. This will add to your expense.
- $20 to $100: FoodSavers in this range are usually manually operated with only one seal setting. At the higher end of the range, you may find a sealer with a wide sealing strip. Countertop FoodSaver prices start around $55.
- $100 to $150: You’ll find both automatic countertop and wild game FoodSavers with extra-wide sealing strips, two seal settings, and some built-in bag roll storage and bag cutters here.
- $150 to $200: In this premium price tier, you’ll find the largest countertop FoodSavers with adjustable sealing strip height, automatic sealing, wide sealing strips, and built-in roll storage with a bag cutter on the lid.
FoodSaver bags can be microwaved or boiled, making it easy to thaw and warm foods.
Q. I want to save money with a manual vacuum sealer, but how do I know when the bags are sealed?
A. While you will need to time the process, manual FoodSaver vacuum sealers have an indicator light that turns off once the vacuuming process is complete. At this point, you’ll need to seal the bag.
Manual FoodSavers provide more control over the sealing process. Once you get used to how the machine works, you may find that you can simply listen and recognize when it’s time to stop sealing based on how the machine sounds.
Q. How long do marinades take in a vacuum-sealed canister?
A. By removing the air from a marinade container, you can infuse the food with a marinade in minutes rather than marinating overnight. After 30 minutes, most food will be ready to cook. You can give it a little more time if you want extra flavor.