Your Shopping Guide For The Best Chipper Shredders
A superior mulcher is one of the most indispensable tools in your garden shed. Chipper shredders for composting will take care of all your garden waste, from tree trimmings and prunings in the spring to fallen leaves and branches in the fall. With a mulcher, you can turn all that unwanted rubbish into pulp to use as fertilizer for your garden.
But with such a variety on the market – blowers, clippers, and mulchers – decision making can be tough on choosing the best chipper shredder for composting?
At Bestgarbagedisposalunits, we’ve got you covered. To make things easier we will walk you through the big picture, then we will take you by the hand and help you narrow down your options to find the Best chipper shredders for composting that fits your needs and budget.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Earthquake TAZZ K33 Chipper Shredder||GreatCircleUSA 7HP Heavy Duty 212cc||WORX WG430 13 Amp Foldable Bladeless Electric Leaf Mulcher||Sun Joe CJ601E 14-Amp Electric Wood Chipper||Sun Joe SDJ616 13-Amp 16:1 Reduction Electric Leaf Mulcher|
|Viper engine with a 5-year Warranty|
11" Wheels will never go flat
Debris bag featuring the bottom-out zipper and a quick dock-and-lock bag connector
|3-in-1 Unit wood chipper design|
Powerful recoil 7HP/ 212cc gas powered engine
Handles up to 3" diameter wood
|Flex-a-line bladeless system|
Tool free, quick assembly
Mulches up to 53 gallons of leaves per minute
|Powerful 14 amp motor|
Compact design with 6-inch wheels for easy portability
Safety hopper with locking knob
|Powerful 13 amp motor with 8000 rpm
Reduces yard waste up to 1/16th its original size
Lightweight and compact for easy portability and storage
Heavy to move Around
|Collection bag is not very sturdy||Generate a major amount of dust while shredding||Unable to handle big branches||Not suitable for extensive periods of wood shredding|
|Available at Amazon||Available at Amazon||Available at Amazon||Available at Amazon||Available at Amazon|
Types of Chipper Shredders for Composting
A mulcher is a type of apparatus that will easily turn your yard waste, like twigs, leaves, etc into mulch. You may then use this mulch as fertilizer by spreading it over the soil which will then improve the soil for plants. This will also help minimize the growth of weeds between plants and beddings.
Let’s take a look at the different types of mulchers.
Whether you use a special lawnmower or a riding lawn mower, the inclusion of a mulcher blade will turn your mover into a mulcher. Did you know that mulcher blades are different than regular moving blades? Mulcher blades are different, these blades create a circling airstream to keep the grass afloat, cutting it several times before it can settle back down to be used as fertilizer.
If you don’t like the idea of having a collapsible trash can for bagging leavings in the fall, then you need to consider a mulching lawnmower and mow over it. A lawnmower is only useful for mulching grass and leaves.
Mulching leaf blowers
A mulching leave blower has the ability to be reversed and comes with an attachment for vacuuming and even mulching. These types of mulchers can be a time saver especially if your yard whether if it’s in the front of the house or back and has a lot of obstacles. With this type of blower, you can easily get into hard to reach places where most tools won’t be able to fit. You will be able to clean out narrow spaces, under your car, between chain-link fences, just to name a few. Like a lawnmower, a leaf blower is only best for the use of grass and leaves.
Product in depth
The Tazz K32 Chipper Shredder features an astonishing 212cc engine that is powerful enough to disburse of most back yard waste. This machine is able to accommodate branches up to 3 inches in diameter without breaking a sweat. This thirsty machine will soon be your best outdoor companion. The Tazz K32 also features a collection bag with a handy bottom zipper to make dispensing of mulch effortless.
A machine for chipping timber takes big pieces of wood, like tree branches and turns them into wood clippings. These types of machines have a large hopper where the operator will feed the wood into and gets dispense through a long narrow chute.
Also, fresh wood clippings temporarily deplete nitrogen and will, therefore, suppress seed germination. So be sure not to use wood clippings in your vegetable or flower beddings. Another disadvantage of wood chips is when spread improperly like the shape of a volcano, it can cause insect and fungal diseases for trees. A wood chipper is obviously not the best machine when you live on a property where there is plenty of trees.
A chipper shredder looks a bit like a wood chipper but has some key features that are essential in distinguishing the two apart. A chipper shredder is smaller in size and best for home use. Chipper shredders usually come with two hoppers, one for larger branches and one for smaller twigs and other organic waste. The versatility of this machine is made to clean up your yard using just one machine.
A chipper-shredder machine is portable and can be used just about anywhere. These type of machines works like a lawnmower with a built-in chipper intake for branches and a vacuum for blowing leaves and other organic waste out of tight places.
Electric mulchers vs. gas mulchers
Should you decide to go with an electric mulcher, you should know that your work area will be limited to the length of your extension cord. Using an electric mulcher, it is therefore important to know the length of the cord that the electric mulcher will require.
- Electric mulchers are quieter than gas mulchers. Should noise levels be a deciding factor you will be better off with an electric mulcher.
- Electric mulchers are better to maintain than gas-mulchers. Should you not want to get your hands dirty with oil and maintenance, you should opt-in for an electric mulcher.
- If the environment is important to you and you consider carbon footprint as a damaging factor to the environment than you should choose an electric mulcher.
- Electric mulchers are safer for your health.
- Electric mulchers are cheaper.
- Electric mulchers work with a power cord thus you have to consider the length of the extension cord. If you can’t get power to where you need to work you won’t be able to mulch.
- Electric mulchers are slower in mulching because it’s not as powerful as gas mulchers.
- Some electric mulchers won’t be able to handle the diameter of wood that needs to be shred.
A petroleum-powered wood shredder is what you should choose when you need extra power to break down larger branches.
- Gasoline-mulchers is more powerful than electric mulchers.
- Gas mulchers are cordless. So you will be able to mulch just about anywhere.
- Gasoline mulchers are louder when in operation. You should wear hearing protection and if your neighbors live close by you should consider them when mulching.
- Gas-powered mulchers are not environmentally friendly.
- Gas-powered mulchers can be a health risk. This means you will be breathing fumes in but you can combat this with the use of a proper mask
- Gas operated mulchers are harder and more expensive to maintain.
See our Best Pickson these Rakes that Pick Up Leaves in one of our previews reviews.
Product in depth
- The Worx 13 Amp Electric Leaf Mulcher/Shredder is compact in design and can quickly mulch 11 bags of leaves down to a single bag. With its impressive 13 amps of power, this machine will be able to decay 53 gallons of leaves in less than a minute. The WORK 13 Amp Electric Leaf Mulcher is lightweight and can be broken down in a matter of minutes for easy storage.
Features to consider
- A mulcher’s engine is judged in a number of factors. Horsepower is the amount of power a mulcher has, while the cc rating is how many cubic centimeters the pistons displace. Torque is the amount of spinning power a mulcher has. The greater the number for all the above, the greater the more powerful the mulcher is.
- The hopper size is the diameter of the opening where you push leaves and clippings into the mulcher. For best practices, you should follow up on the user manual what thickness leaves and branches you can feed into the hopper.
- The decreasing ratio means the mulcher’s efficiency. If the mulcher has a ratio of 15:1 that means the mulcher will be able to reduce 15 bags of waste and clippings to one bag.
- It is also important to consider the maximum weight when choosing a mulcher. The heavier the mulcher the harder it will be to transport from one place to another.
Q. What are the dangers of using an improper extension cord with my mulcher?
A. Any extension cord that you use with your mulcher should be in good working order without any visible damage. It should be able to carry the amount of electrical current for the mulcher. To be on the safe side always use a properly three-prong outlet protected with a 20A fuse. And never remove the ground wire from the plug.
Q. As long as it’s less than the recommended diameter, I can toss it in the chipper shredder, right?
A. Absolutely not! You should remember that chipper shredders for composting is designed for dispensing organic waste like leaves and clippings. Never put fresh vines down the hopper, this can get tangles inside the machine. Always consult the user manual if you are not sure what to do.