You might have come across antifreeze or coolants if you own a car or any other engine that requires the use of these substances. You might have even spilled the substance at times and really wonder if it’s dangerous or not, if the spill will evaporate or not, if you should clean it immediately or get to t after you’re done with your present task, you might even contemplate leaving it till a later time. What you should know about Antifreeze or coolant as they are sometimes called is that they are highly fatal to the health and require immediate response and careful use as possible.
Antifreeze is a substance that is usually added to a solvent in order to lower its freezing point. It is added to the water present in internal combustion engines to keep the water cool and below its natural freezing point. Antifreeze as a substance is usually chemically stable and is a good conductor of heat as much as it is a very poor conductor of electricity. Antifreeze is also by some people called coolants and can be found in the radiator of vehicles as the colored water.
Does spilled antifreeze evaporate?
No, antifreeze rarely evaporates. They instead form a poodle of colored liquid that needs to be attended to with immediate effect. What to do when you spilled antifreeze? You’ll read it in this article.
Is it bad to spill antifreeze?
Antifreeze often gets spilled at times in different ways such as:
- Spills during the mixture with water either in the garage or during a trip
- A leak from combustion engines and vehicle radiators
- A leak from a mistaken drop of antifreeze containers and so on.
Antifreeze is a highly toxic substance and rarely evaporates. So it is bad to spill it, especially when you’ve got kids and pets running around.
What to do when you’ve spilled antifreeze
If antifreeze does not evaporate when spilled and is very dangerous to your health, it is then of utmost importance that you clean up and get rid of the spill immediately.
Steps you can take to clean the spill are:
- Wear a pair of gloves: This should be the first thing
- Wear a pair of gloves: This should be the first thing you do before cleaning up an antifreeze spillage because the chemicals can be absorbed through the skin and cause critical damages to the skin and the entire body organs
- Pour absorbent on the spill: Liquid absorbent should be poured on the spill and allowed to absorb as much of the spill as possible. There is a lot of liquid-absorbent that will do this work very well and any of such can be used.
- Clean the spill area: Get warm water and detergent with active foaming ingredients and thoroughly scrub the entire area where the antifreeze has been spilled. It is important and advisable that you do a thorough scrubbing to ensure there is no residue of the substance on the floor that can cause any harm later on.
- Carefully and securely dispose of the used absorbent and other materials where it will not come in contact with children or animals, to forestall and avoid any risk of ingestion.
- You can also get dedicated cleaners for coolants that are available in the market for purchase. Having antifreeze or coolant spill cleaners like the SpillFix and other types will make it easy and fast for you to get the spills off the ground and prevent accidental ingestion
Antifreeze substance is useful for:
- Keeping the water in the radiator and engines from getting frozen during cold temperatures
- Keeping the water from getting boiling hot during hot temperatures alike
- And also for the lubrication of moving parts that it gets in contact with
Antifreeze is a highly toxic substance whose injection (whether mistaken or deliberately) can lead to fatal consequences like damages to the liver and other vital organs of the human body causing a gradual, slow and painful death.
The sweet taste of antifreeze can also make it hard for people to recognize. It is for these reasons that antifreeze requires special care and attention. It shouldn’t be kept in places where it can be of harm to anybody.
So, now that you are aware of the dangers of antifreeze and its spill and that the spill doesn’t get evaporated, and that a simple contact can be fatal, we believe that you will become more careful with the use of the substance and your interaction with it and in case of any accidental spill, you know the process to clean it up and stay safe.